Dental implants are the most popular tooth replacement solution because of their durability, permanence, and stability, as well as their natural look and functionality.
About Dental Implants
Severe tooth loss and decay can cost a host of oral health complications. Thankfully, there are a lot of tooth replacement solutions available, including dental implants. Many patients love their dental, citing their permanence, durability, and natural-looking appearance as top reasons for being their preferred tooth replacement option.
Many patients are happy to learn they are a candidate for a dental implant, even when they were not candidates for other tooth replacement options. At Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants, Dr. Smith will perform a complete oral evaluation and create a customized treatment plan to suit your tooth replacement needs.
A dental implant replaces the entire tooth, including its root. There are three parts to a single dental implant:
- The post – made of medical-grade titanium, the post is the part that is surgically implanted into the jaw bone. Over time, the post will fuse with the jaw bone and create a sturdy and secure foundation for the rest of the implant.
- The abutment – your new tooth is held in place with a connecting piece called the abutment. It joins the crown to the implant post.
- The crown – custom-made to provide the most natural look possible, the crown is the visible part of the dental implant.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Many patients love the look, feel, and function of their dental implants. Not only do they offer a natural-looking result, but they can improve oral health, too!
The three-part design of the dental implant is what makes it unique and provides several benefits to patients. Dental implant patients can expect to enjoy
- Permanent tooth replacement solution. Once the dental implant post has fused with the jaw bone, they are completely secure. With good oral hygiene and a healthy lifestyle, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Restore facial aesthetics. The crown that is placed on top of the dental implant post is specially designed for each patient to ensure the most natural-looking result.
- Worry-free eating. No need to worry about your prosthesis slipping out of place! Once your oral surgeon has confirmed that your dental implants have healed, they function just like natural teeth.
- Preserve jaw bone health. The dental implant is designed to replace the entire tooth, including its root. Just like a natural tooth, the dental implant stimulates the jaw bone to prevent bone loss.
- Many treatment options. Whether a patient is missing a single tooth, multiple teeth, or an entire arch of teeth, dental implants can be used for a variety of tooth loss treatments.
- Increased confidence. Many of our patients are happy to smile again after their dental implant treatments.
- Many patients are candidates. Many patients are happy to learn they are a candidate for a dental implant, even when they were not candidates for other tooth replacement options. In addition, some of the bone grafting techniques performed at Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants allows many more patients the opportunity to become successful candidates for dental implants.
An immediate implant is an implant that is placed at the same time a tooth is extracted. It is quickly becoming a popular technique for patients who require an extraction and desire immediate restoration to their oral health, function, and aesthetics. Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants is proud to offer this service at their Grove City, OH, practice.
Usually, the placement of dental implants occurs throughout the course of multiple appointments. With immediate implants, only one surgical procedure is needed for extraction and placement of the dental implant post.
Some benefits of immediate implants include
- Accelerates the integration of the bone with the implant
- Multiple surgeries are not necessary
- Preserves the health of the gum tissue and reduces risk of recession
- Reduces risk of infection by keeping contaminants away from the socket
Once the tooth is extracted and the dental implant has been placed, a healing period will take place over the course of several weeks. When you come to Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants, Dr. Smith can discuss your options for a temporary prosthetic to maintain a natural appearance while the implant is healing.
Dental Implant Cost
At Greater Columbus Oral Surgery, we want you to have the best possible experience at our practice. We strive to achieve the best oral health outcomes by creating personalized treatment plants, using the most advanced equipment at our state-of-the-art practice, and providing uncompromising quality of care. The exact cost of your dental implant treatment will be unique to you and will take many factors into consideration, such as insurance coverage, number of dental implants, and if any additional procedures are needed as a part of your overall treatment plan.
We make sure that the oral and maxillofacial surgery services we perform at Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants are as affordable as possible. We accept many forms of payment and insurance plans to provide oral surgery care at a cost that is reasonable.
To gain the most accurate cost estimate of your treatment, please call our office and request an appointment with Dr. Smith.
THE VALUE OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
At Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants, we offer many dental implant-based tooth replacement solutions to suit our patients’ needs. Dental implants are a popular choice because they look, feel, and function like natural teeth and, when taken care of, they can last a lifetime. At our Grove City, OH, practice, Dr. Smith will sit down with you, discuss your options for tooth replacement, and create the ideal treatment plan to suit your individual needs.
Benefits of dental implants include
- Permanent option—designed to last a lifetime
- Can replace a single tooth, multiple teeth, or an entire arch of teeth
- Freedom to eat the foods you love
- Preserve bone health
- Increased self-confidence
Dental Implant FAQ
CAN MY CHILD RECEIVE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Dental implants are an ideal long-term solution for tooth replacement. In children, however, most oral surgeons recommend placing a dental implant after they have stopped growing—this is usually around the age of 16 for girls and 18 for boys.
The best way to learn about the tooth replacement options available for your child is with a consultation with Dr. Smith. He will personally examine your child, evaluate their condition, and determine the appropriate treatment based on their age, health, development, and other factors.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO REPLACE TEETH USING DENTAL IMPLANTS?
In general, the entire dental implant process can range from a few months to a year, but it truly varies from patient to patient. A patient’s personal needs, lifestyle, condition, and more will all determine the length of time of an individual’s dental implant treatment.
Dr. Smith customizes every treatment plan for each patient. To learn about your condition and obtain the most accurate estimate of your treatment time, please contact our office to schedule a consultation.
CAN A GENERAL DENTIST PLACE MY DENTAL IMPLANT?
An oral surgeon is the most qualified specialist to perform the full scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery procedures. As an oral surgeon, Dr. Smith is also trained and qualified to perform anesthesia safely to ensure his patients’ comfort and safety. In general, dental implant treatments are a coordinated effort between an oral surgeon and a general dentist. The dental implant post is surgically placed into the jaw bone by the oral surgeon, and the dentist places the crown after the implant has healed.
WHAT IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH BONE IN MY JAW FOR A SECURE IMPLANT PLACEMENT?
Tooth loss—especially tooth loss that has been left untreated for an extended period of time—is a common reason for bone loss. Thankfully, bone grafting procedures can restore or add bone where it is needed and helps many patients become successful candidates for dental implants. Please visit our Bone Grafting page to learn more.
HOW DO I CARE FOR MY NEW DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Your new dental implants require extra care as they heal—over the next several weeks, they will be working hard to fuse with your jaw bone. However, after they have healed, caring for them is as simple as caring for natural teeth. Just brush, floss, and see your dentist regularly.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY LIKE AFTER DENTAL IMPLANT PLACEMENT?
Most patients need a few days’ rest after the surgical placement of their dental implants before resuming their normal activities. To optimize your healing and reduce your risk of complications, please follow all pre- and post-operative instructions provided to you by your oral surgeon.
WHAT WILL I USE TO CHEW WITH WHILE MY IMPLANTS HEAL?
There are a few options to choose from as you wait for your dental implants to heal. Common options include a bridge or modified denture, but transitional crowns can also be created as a temporary but fixed option.
At Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants, we care about the comfort, safety, and health of our patients. No question is too small to ask. If you have any questions about dental implants, your treatment, or wish to schedule a consultation, please contact our Grove City, OH, practice.
Our patients are sharing their dental implant stories. Hear about their experience at Greater Columbus Oral Surgery & Dental Implants.